The warmth of the alcohol and the sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg makes it Christmas in a glass. I always use Clarence Court eggs and Julian Temperley’s Somerset cider brandy.
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
3 eggs, Clarence Court Burford Browns separated
75g caster sugar
450ml full fat milk
150ml double cream
75ml somerset cider brandy
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1. Beat the egg yolks and half of the sugar with an electric or hand whisk for 2-3 minutes until light and frothy.
2. Add the milk, cream, alcohol and half of the spices until well mixed.
3. In a clean bowl with an electric or hand whisk, beat the egg whites and the rest of the sugar until fairly stiff then fold into the egg yolk and alcohol mixture. Serve in tumblers or mugs and scatter on the rest of the spices.
Quail egg shooters:
Quail egg shooters are a great accompaniment to eggnog, and are very easy to prepare.
Crispy bacon finely chopped
1. Lower the quails eggs into simmering water for 15- 20 seconds so they are ‘liquidy’
2. Cut the top off the egg
3. Sprinkle crispy bacon on top. Serve on a bed of sea salt.